Hello guys! We had notice how many people are searching for bootleg copies of our software and though to tell you why this is hurting the users more than the companies. Often illegal downloads come from sketchy websites filled with viruses. In some cases, the only thing that the user can actually read is the download link. Don’t you think this is just a little bit crazy?
Tip: If you want to try Graitec Advance Design 2018, just download the trial from our website.
While we had made the research for this article we found the answer of a Reddit user to a question related to the online piracy which saying that the usage of a pirated software is like “sitting on a time bomb without knowing when it will explode”. Maybe the comparison could be considerate a little bit out of the hook those days, but the point remains valid.
If you not getting his point of view right away, take a look of those disadvantages:
1. Security risks are huge. Be aware that nothing is free. Even the torrents. If you are using a pirated software, you should expect to say goodbye to all your data’s. And the loss of your family’s beloved photos and the very important work documents could lead to a lot of frustration. In most cases your computer may be infected with viruses or malware and soon or later your entire system will crash. And that’s it will happened if you are lucky. Otherwise, it is possible to wake up in the morning, turn on yours the computer and notice that you received a beautiful message from a group of hackers that ask you to pay ransom for your data. How much you will ask? According to a Symatec report, the average ransom demand in 2016 tops $1.000. There is a strong connection between cyberattacks and the use of unlicensed software, conforming to a press release from 2016 of Business Software Alliance (BSA). The scientists are underlines the idea that where unlicensed software is in use, the likelihood of encountering malware dramatically goes up.
2. Productivity risks. Be prepared to work over and over again. Apart from security holes, the using a bootleg software can mean dozens or maybe hundreds of hours lost in a second due a crash or bug not fixed. And you cannot fix it right away with a short call to the producer because the program is a fake one. But maybe you will try and spend other hours on the internet trying to find other pirated version of the software which also may contains other bugs. Another bump on your road to success can be the hacks used to run pirated software. That because the crack can interfere with software operation, such as preventing a program from accessing online features in order to avoid detection.”
3. Zero updates. Nobody is perfect including the software companies. As you know, even the tech giants often miss some bugs in their applications which are fix after the release with updates. If you not bought the program, of course, you won’t receive the updates. Frequently the updates are a revival of the entire software or even more frequently the amends are related for a security issues. Also the updates could come with new features or functionalities.
4. Economic reasons. Though the trend of use of unlicensed software installed on computers around the world was slowing down from 43 percent in 2013 to 39 percent, in 2015, the damages causes by cyberattacks had costs the companies more than $400 billion just in 2015, conforming to a BSA study. Maybe right now you think that those companies have enough money to cover the losses but what is happening actually is a rises of the prices. In other words, maybe you are saving some money using a pirated version of one or two programs, but on other hand you losing money while you paying higher prices for software products due the piracy. If the developer or the publisher’s program do not get a substantial profit, they cannot afford to fund the processes of research and development, essential for creating new and improved versions of their products.
5. It’s illegal. Well, I think you already know this, but take a look to those fines. For example, in the United States, copyright infringement can cost you up to five years in jail and a $250.000 fine. And more. The publisher can also to call you in court for damages that can run as high as $150.000 per copy.
If you can’t afford to pay for a software, keep in mind that you can always find fair solutions for both part. In many cases, the developers provide a free version of their software or a cheaper one. For instance, if you are looking for a CAD software and have a smaller budget take a chance on our Graitec Advance CAD. It provides its users a simple, natural and economical solution to the frequent requirements of drawing creation and modification.
Don’t forget to do some research before opening that torrents website. Maybe what you need is already there for you, free and legal to download.
Are you a student? Ask for an educational version of the products. For example, Graitec offers free licenses for a year to the students (check out this page for many details)
Stay tuned and follow us because soon we are going to publish soon some good alternatives to the use of pirated versions of CAD/CAE software.